Updated: Jan 21
I just love Christmas time... Don't you?!
Even though it is freezing cold outside (at least where I am) there is something that is so heart-warming about the holidays. Maybe it's the feeling of snuggling under a warm blanket by the fireplace, or perhaps the comfort of drinking hot cocoa with melting snowman marshmallows in your mug. Maybe it's the fresh and warm baked peppermint candy cane cookies that you're about to enjoy fresh out of the oven! For me, it's all of these things combined.
These cookies will take you to candy cane lane... If you love peppermint and candy canes, you will absolutely love these cookies! For reference, I used Hershey's Candy Cane Kisses which are in fact gluten free. They are SOO good baked in cookies!!
Imagine these as the perfect plate of cookies for Santa... All to be enjoyed with a glass of milk, as you see below. Even Santa loves a colorful plate of cookies too!
We'll get right to the recipe below so you can go ahead and make these delicious and heart-warming cookie sandwiches!
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. peppermint extract
2 cups all-purpose gluten free flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 bag Hershey's Candy Cane Kisses
2 cups unsalted butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp. peppermint extract
4 cups powdered sugar
Red food coloring, if desired
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a standard cookie sheet tray with parchment paper.
2. In a standard mixer or mixing bowl, cream together the butter, sugar, vanilla, and peppermint extract.
3. Add the eggs and combine until smooth.
4. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda. Add to the mixing bowl and combine.
5. On a small cutting board, chop the Candy Cane Kisses into small pieces and add to the mixer. Combine until uniform.
6. Roll the dough onto a lightly floured surface and use a round cookie cutter to cut the dough. Be mindful that the dough will be thick and firm so it is unnecessary to refrigerate prior to baking.
7. Place cookies onto cookie sheet tray and bake for 9-12 minutes, or to desired softness. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
1. In a standard mixer or mixing bowl, cream the butter on medium-high speed for 2-3 minutes until white in color and creamy.
2. Add the vanilla, peppermint extract, and powdered sugar and combine until smooth.
3. If coloring the frosting red, transfer half of the frosting into a separate bowl and add drops of red food coloring until you have reached your desired color.
4. Transfer the frosting to piping bags and frost onto the center of each cookie, creating cookie sandwiches. Decorate with kisses and enjoy!!
*Disclaimer: May cause tastebud happiness! Additionally, my opinions are my own, of course! I am not affiliated with any of the brand names mentioned in this post nor is this a sponsored post.